How is named this kind of powerful words? I'm talking about of the tiny word "mis" which seems to have the power of changing the means of any other ones "misunderstanding", "misspellings", "mispronunciations", etc Can I feel free to use it or is it in reality not very usual?
Jun 24, 2019 6:42 PM
Answers · 5
CORRECTION: What are these powerful words called? Mis- is a prefix meaning wrongly. It is commonly used. Examples: misjudge, misinterpret, misguided, mismatch, misplace
June 24, 2019
I will just add: misunderstand, misread, mishear
June 24, 2019
Thank you Daniel! ... So that's actually a prefix who changes the means of certain words
June 24, 2019
Well, "mis" is not a word. It's a prefix. For example, if someone "attempted" to do something and failed, we would not say that they "misattempted" - it's not a word. We would say they failed.
June 24, 2019
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!