Wu Ting
How would you interpret “I shoved the butt of my new Jericho deep in his throat”? How would you interpret “I shoved the butt of my new Jericho deep in his throat” in the last sentence? Does it mean he shoved the gunstock into the other man’s throat? I would think it is impossible. Or does it mean he put the gunstock against the outside of the other man’s throat? Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Uterus” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. the context: …Deep in my heart I knew that if I didn’t break into the museum and steal it out of there and take care of it, I’d stop being what I am. Just like my dad that night, on the steps of the plane, I knew exactly what I had to do. Two days later, I took a van from work, and arrived at the museum just before it closed. The rooms were empty, but even if I had met someone, it wouldn’t have worried me. I was armed this time, and besides, I had a really good plan. My only problem was that the uterus itself had disappeared. The guy in charge of the exhibition was kind of surprised to see me, but when I shoved the butt of my new Jericho deep in his throat he was very quick to cough up the information…
I think it means that the hero slammed the end of his gun against the throat of the guard, the author used the word "in" because the throat is soft so it's like the gun went "in" the skin on the throat. You can also see this kind of example in sentences like "I hit him in the head with a stone ." And the word "throat" also corresponds with the word "cough" in the next sentence. The author wants to say that the guard was threatened by the gun so he told the hero the information required, but since the first sentence mentioned that the hero shoved the gun in his throat, and if someone was hit in the throat they ususally cough, so the author wanting to make his language more interesting, wrote in the next sentence that the guard "coughed" up the information.
Author is being figurative/symbolic. He stuck the gun maybe in his mouth or between his lips. Saying 'deep in his throat' is just emphasizing the action and how aggressive the action was.
Yeah I take that to mean it's on the outside of his throat, for if it was inside his throat it would say "down his throat". The sentence is a little confusing because its kind of odd to shove a gun butt in someone's throat, would make more sense if it was the gun's barrel, which is from where the bullet shoots. Also, when I think of a gun butt I think of the end of a rifle, and google images seems to share this view. As a Jericho is a pistol it would be more correct to say "pistol grip". Even for an English speaker this sentence is unclear and it appears to me to be the fault of the author (or editor).
moved it to the answer section is all