Gyan
Seeking the correct explanation to the answer Choose the best form of the phrase which is enclosed within the brackets(). Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, (significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of) more than $100 billion a year. A)significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of B)significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business C)significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, already with business costs of D)significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costing business E)significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costs business
(D) is awkward grammar. I can explain this in 2 ways: 1) You are making a list (of 2 facts) so each item in the list must match in grammar/structure. 2) The second fact ("significantly compounding...") is a clarification of the first fact ("growing rapidly..."), and so for this reason, the grammar forms must match. I think this is more a "feel" and not a strict grammar rule. However, in English we generally prefer short sentences and fewer words. This is another reason why "significant in compounding" sounds more awkward and difficult to understand. (And also why Blair suggests cutting the sentence in two - although I think your sentence is still ok.)
I'd choose B as well. 'Business' does work here as they are referring to business as a whole, and not individual companies (where you would need the plural form of business). D definitely doesn't work. I can't explain it except to say the entire sentence doesn't make sense with it. It reads very bad.
Thanks Blair. I agree on the use of businesses instead of business. But, it doesn't matter much. It depends on how you are looking at it. I was confused between B and D. What do you think, why it can't be option D?
If I had to pick one, I would go for B but making the last word 'businesses'. You might be better off breaking the whole thing into two sentences. Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among its workers. This will only compound the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, already costing businesses more than $100 billion a year.
Thank you very much :)