rook
Modal verbs questions 1) despite yesterday’s snowfalls we ... home in less than an hour. A) could drive b) were able to drive home I think it’s B. 2) she swam strongly and ... cross the river easily, even though it was swollen by the heavy rain. A) was able b) could I think it’s B. 3) during the war the police ... arrest you for criticizing the government A) May b) might c) could I think all options are ok (could about the past) 4) I can’t access the database. You .... a password A) must have got to put in b) must have to put in c) must put in For some reason B is correct , but I don’t understand why. Your help would be appreciated a lot.
1 A or B depending on context 2 A 3 C 4 B or C depending on context 1 A - ..., we could drive home in less than an hour (conditional present/future meaning) 1 B - ..., we were able to drive home in less than an hour (past meaning) 2 A - She swam strongly and was able to cross the river (past meaning) 3 C - ..., the police could arrest you (capability [can] in the past) 4 B - You must have to put in a password. (supposition of an obligation) 4 C - You have to put in a password. (obligation)