Dan
compartmentalize Hello, I heard the expression below when they talk about a grief. Please let me know in what situation the word, 'compartmentalize' is used. It sounds like very awkward to use in a normal conversation. "You've always been able to compartmentalize. I envy that. " Thank you!
Usually compartmentalizing refers to thoughts. It means being able to separate your thoughts and emotions, and dealing with them separately. For example, if you are really stressed at work and your dog goes missing, and you are able to forget your work stress and focus on finding your dog, someone might say "You are really good at compartmentalizing." Compartmentalizing can also be a negative thing. For example, if somebody is good at compartmentalizing, it might also mean that they are unable to deal with their emotions, and can push away negative emotions without ever dealing with them.
Compartmentalize means to put something into a compartment. A compartment is often a small storage area. Example: I spent the day compartmentalizing the storage area of the office. I put all of the pens in one box. I stacked all of the printer paper on two shelves. I gathered all of the paper clips into one container.. You can compartmentalize thoughts as well by keeping your work worries or thoughts separate from your personal worries or thoughts.