Angela
questions from friends-give birth to triplet Hey you guys, I have some questions from Friends. This scene is about when Phoebe just gave birth to triplets for her little brother Frank and Frank’s wife Alice. ............................................................................................. [Scene: The delivery room. Phoebe, Monica, and Ross are holding the babies.] Phoebe: Hey, you guys can I just like have a second alone with the babies. All: Yeah, sure yeah. Yeah. (They hand her the babies and leave them alone.) Phoebe: So, here you are. It seems like yesterday I was talking to you in that little 【petri dish】. Everyone said labor was the hardest thing I'd ever have to do, but they were wrong 【this is】. Oh, I had the most fun with you guys! I wish I could take you home and see you every day. Okay, I'll settle for being your favorite Aunt. I know 【Alice's sister has a pool】, 【but you lived in me】. Okay, 【so we're cool】. Yeah, we're gonna be great. Little high fives! (Imitates the high fives.) Ahh! Ahh! Ahh! (One of the babies begins to cry.) Well, 【if you're gonna cry】. (She starts crying.) .............................................................................. Q1: 【petri dish】means what? Q2: 【this is】,this meaning ….? Q3: 【Alice's sister has a pool】.this is the most difficult one, who’s alice’s sister? She’s never been mentioned in the whole series, why does Phoebe mention her here? How does Phoebe know Ailice’s sister has a pool?why is that relevant? Q4: 【but you lived in me】,this question will be solved after the Q3 is solved, so it depends on the Q3. Q5: 【so we're cool】, I hear people say this phrase (we’re cool) when they have an argument or a fight, and then make up again. But here, Phoebe doesn’t have a fight with three babies, so why does she say that? Q6: 【if you're gonna cry】,I feel that this sentence should be followed with another sentence, coz it’s not complete to me, but there’s no another sentence. So can you guess what Phoebe’s going to say? ................... thanks so much for your help:)
1. A "petri dish" is a little round, flat dish that you would use in a laboratory. That's where the embryos were before they were in Phoebe 2. "This" refers to giving up the babies. She's saying that it is difficult to give them to Frank & Alice. 3/4. Phoebe is the triplet's aunt because she's Frank's sister. Alice's sister is also the triplet's aunt. So, when the triplets are old enough to pick who is their favorite, they'll pick between Phoebe & Alice's sister - and a little kid might pick the aunt who has a swimming pool to play in. Phoebe is saying that she should be the favorite, even though she doesn't have the nicer house. 5. It also just means that "we understand each other" or "we're friends." 6. Phoebe is going to cry. the implied following sentence is "then I can cry, too."