Wu Ting
How would you interpret the word “Blatsh”? How would you interpret the word “Blatsh” in the last but one sentence of the second passage? I guess the speaker meant “blast”. What do you think? Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Cocked and Locked” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. And I’m reading an English translation. the context: He’s standing there in the middle of the alleyway, about twenty meters away from me, his kaffiyeh over his face, trying to provoke me to come closer: “Zbecial Force cocksucker,” he shouts at me in a heavy Arabic accent. “What’s up, ya blatoon hero? Your cross-eyed sergeant bush it up your ass too hard yesterday? Not strong enough to run?” He unzips his pants and takes out his dick: “What’s up, Zbecial Force? My dick not good enough for you? It was blenty good for your sister, no? Blenty good for your mother, no? Blenty good for your friend Abutbul. How’s he doing, Abutbul? Feeling better, boor guy? I saw they bring in a zbecial heligobter to take him away. Like a crazy-man he ran after me. Half a block he ran like a majnun. Blatsh! His face squashed up like a watermelon.”
It is not a real word. It is just making the sound of something smashing into his face.