Do you know an English equivalent for ...? Mistakenly I put the question in the discussion-site. But I think the right place is here. Please, dear native speakers, can you help me to stretch my vocabulary? Recently I had a conversation about a witty MAN who always commented on unexpected, unusual or strange behavior in a sarcastic or dry-humorous way (tongue-in-cheek). We agreed on the term "He is a sly old fox/ dog" for the German expression "Er hat es faustdick hinter den Ohren". Now my question: Do you know an English equivalent for this type of WOMEN? Thank you.
Ali, In my experience there is no specific version of that expression for women. Using “kitten” to describe women is ... sort of associated with, ah, adult content. All of the gender neutral expressions also sound a bit British. In my experience Americans may not comment on this style of humor, at least not in that approving way.
I can't think of one - though i did try. When said about men, your expression is something of a compliment. If said of a woman 'She's a sly old bitch' it's very far from being a compliment! She a sneaky/sly little kitten, that one! - would work without causing too much offence (S)he's a bit of a sly one, isnt (s)he? - gender neutral.
equivalent intermediary
I study English for 1 year, I consider my English 50%, but I go to california in 2 months
Frequently read - the warning addressed to LEARNERS about using certain idioms. It would be much easier to comment on a witty remark of a woman with the less "dangerous" verbal means like "clever", "smart" and so on. But there are communication situations you need a bit more pepper or salt. Otherwise, life would be boring. Thank you all for your support.