Simone
me vs myself Hi there! Could you just correct these sentences for me?? V means true to me F means false to me Can I make a coffee for myself? V Can I make myself a coffee? V Can I make a coffee for me? F Can I make me a coffee? F Is this food for you? V Is this food for yourself? V - Who did this mess? - Me V - It wasn't me V - I did V - Myself F - Did you go to work? - Who? Me??? No, I was off yesterday V - Do you want a tea? - Me?? V The book was written by myself. V The book was written entirely by me. V I bought myself a car. V I bought a car for myself. V I bought me a car. V I bought me a car for me. F Thank you
Myself is a reflexive pronoun. Examples: "I looked at myself in the mirror." (reflexive action, so "myself") "She looked at me through the window." (non-reflexive action, so "me") Is this food for yourself? << F Is this food for you? Can I make me a coffee? << F (used by some people, but not standard) Can I make myself a coffee? I bought me a car. << F (used by some people, but not standard) I bought myself a car. The book was written by myself. << F The book was written by me. Myself can have an emphatic meaning (= only me). I wrote the book. I wrote the book by myself. Here is more information: https://www.ef.com/ca/english-resources/english-grammar/pronouns/