Muhammed Qasim
"King's College is in THE Strand", why the is used before "Strand"
"The Strand" is just the place name, used in the same way as "London" or "Knightsbridge" or "Park Lane".
I was about to answer "look at a map," but to my surprise, Google Maps shows the name simply as "Strand." To my further surprise, Wikipedia's article begins "'Strand,' (or 'the Strand') is a major thoroughfare in the City of Westminster, Central London...." The article contains this note: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strand,_London#cite_note-3 "Though many sources add 'the', official documentation from Westminster City Council calls the road simply 'Strand', as do the street name-plates." I suspect this will come as a surprise to Su.Ki. and others. I'm from the US. I've never seen the name in print without "the," and I've heard an old music hall song, "Let's All Go Down the Strand." I think the best answer is "it's just the custom." Why is "Avenue of the Americas" in New York always called "Sixth Avenue?" Why is the town of Westborough, Massachusetts almost always spelled "Westboro," even on road signs? Why do people from California call US Route 101 "the one-oh-one," while nobody in Massachusetts has ever called Route 128 "the one-twenty-eight?"
The word 'strand' is an old-fashioned English term for 'beach'. The street known as 'The Strand' used to run alongside the River Thames - so the name just basically means the 'the shore'. Even though it's no longer on the riverside, the name remains. Just think of it as an exception to the rule. Another street in London which has a definite article is The Mall, which runs from Buckingham Palace to Trafalgar Square.
The reason is that “strand” is actually a common noun meaning a beach (MacMillan Dictionary: a beach or area at the edge of a sea, lake, or river). When a common noun is used as a place name, it is capitalized and preceded by the definite article. For example: “The United States”, “the Arabian Peninsula”.