Alex
What the differences between verbs to find out and to figure out? Could you explain, please? Thanks in advance!
find out = after you find out, then you know. There is not suggetsion about you doing anything to find out. Options involve effort, or chance, or someone tells you. He found out by chance that the man was a fraud. He found out that the key would not work, only when he tried it. She found out about his online shopping addiction only when the parcels started arriving. . Figure out = think on something until you have an answer, or partial answer. He worked on it for days before he finally figured it out. This is homework: you figure the answer out. The diagram gives you x & y, you figure out what the angle is using trigonometry. Use your noodle: figure it out yourself.
Many of the answers portray “find out” as something that you learn by accident. That is one correct use. But that is not what distinguishes it from “figure out” When is the next train? I have the schedule here. Let me find out. Does Kate like me? Go ask her and find out! “Finding out” is something that is relatively easy, but it doesn’t have to be accidental. “Figuring out” requires more thought. “Find out” also can mean “realize” I found out I just don’t like superhero movies. (Maybe I saw a few and realized that I wouldn’t like any movies of that type)
You don't really need to do any work to find something. I can walk down the street and find a dollar laying there. "to figure" means that you are concentrating on something. To "find out" means that you did work to discover something, or that you discovered something by accident. To "figure out" definitely means that you did work to discover something.
These phrasal verbs in English are similar, but have different uses. Find out means to discover information. Generally, we find out something by chance, in other words, we were not intentionally looking for the information. Example: Jane found out her husband was cheating on her when she found the evidence in his jacket pocket. Figure out means to learn some information by taking action to do it. Generally, we intend to figure out something. It does not happen by chance, as in find out. Example: The police figured out how the robber was able to bypass the bank’s security. So basically, you find out something by chance and you figure out something by your intention and effort. This is based on my understanding. I hope other people can explain it as well.