Wu Ting
How would you interpret the “makes it up off the ground” in the context? How would you interpret the phrase “makes it up off the ground” in the seventh sentence? I guess it means the man reaches the other man before he succeeds in getting to his feet. But I’m not sure what collocation the “makes it up off the ground” consists of? Does it consist of the collocation “make it”? Or does it consist of the collocation “make up”? Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Cocked and Locked” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. And I’m reading an English translation. the context: He picks up the rifle, with me less than five meters away, and releases the safety lock. One knee on the ground, he aims and pulls the trigger. And then he discovers what I’ve discovered in this hellhole over the past month: The rifle is worth shit. Three and half kilos of scrap metal. Totally useless. No point in even trying. I reach him before he so much as makes it up off the ground, and kick him hard, right in the muzzle. As he buckles over, I drag him up by the hair and pull of his kaffiyeh. I look him in the eye. Then I grab that face and bang it against a telephone pole like a raving maniac. Again and again and again. Let’s see some cross-eyed sergeant push it up his ass now.
You're right about the meaning - it means manage to get to his feet. The basic phrasal verb is 'make it', meaning manage to do something. 'Up off the ground' is a compound adverbial phrase,, up + off somewhere, indicating direction. It's quite usual to combine 'make it' with adverbial phrases in this way. For example, 'make it to the top' is a very common expression meaning to succeed in getting to the top of something - either something literal, such as a mountain, or figurative, such as a career path. Likewise, a common way of saying, 'I hope we manage to escape from this place' (correct but slightly unnatural) is 'I hope we make it out of here' (very natural).
Thank you.
"I reach him before he can stand/get up." "I reach him before he has a chance to get up/stand up." That's a bit more precise but the author/translator is choosing to use an idiom.