Nimas3
Willingness Hello dear native speakers Is the following sentence well-formed ? Does it flow well? My gransdfather did everything in his power to help his brother overcome his drug addiction, but you know the success of such attempts depends on the patient's willingness to try to solve his problem, which his brother didn't signal any. I doubt about the end of the sentence. Should break down the sentence into 2 sentences? If so, how can I do that? Thanks in advance
My gransdfather (grandfather) did everything in his power to help his brother overcome his drug addiction, but you know the success of such attempts depends on the patient's willingness to try to solve his problem, which his brother didn't (have). You can keep the last sentence as a single thought. Just change the "signal any" to "have". Willingness is something you have. It does have outward signs which we can all see... but generally we talk about having willingness - instead of showing it. You show intent. Very good sentence... good thoughts... Grandfather spelling was changed, but thats a minor. I'll put your own question back to you... Try breaking the last sentence into two and post it back here. Lets see what you come up with :)