Ng
张东做过很多玩具给我弟弟 vs 张东给我弟弟做过很多玩具 I want to say zhang dong made a lot of toys for my brother <- in this order is there a rule to make sentence ?
The 2nd is correct in Mandarin. U might hear the 1st sometimes in dialects in the south. There is a trend toward accepting the 1st structure these years in daily conversations in Mandarin though, like: 他买了一束花给我.(increasingly accepted) 他给我买了一束花。(correct)
The 2nd is correct grammatically. In Chinese, adverbial modifier, usually starting with prepositions, is put before verb.
"Zhang Dong made a lot of toys for my brother", I think in English you would also say "Zhang Dong made my brother a lot of toys". It is just a different focus of connotation. It sounds to me that the first one "张东做过很多玩具给我弟弟" does not end here and there is more information would be delivered after this phrase. "张东做过很多玩具给我弟弟, ......" The focus of this sentence is 张东, you might want to talk something more about 张东. The second sentence "张东给我弟弟做过很多玩具" sounds a complete sentence to me. It feels okay to leave the sentence like this as the information is complete. The focus of this sentence is the fact of making toys.
Both forms are OK. Most of the time, Chinese are not very particular on the word order of sentences. If they make sense, then it is OK. However, the question would be if one form is more elegant than the other. That's all.
These 2 ways of saying are all right. It looks like you know well the rule.