In or Into? Hi, everyone! I kind of feel stupid for asking about something that sounds very simple to answer, but I really need help. I'm translating a microwave mug cake recipe to English and there is a part of it where I have to say "place all the ingredients in/into a large mug." So, my question is: should I use in or into in that situation? I know that I could use the verb "put" so either in or into would be correct. However, I want to use the verb "place", so I don't know which preposition I should use. I fact, now I'm not sure if I should use the verb "place" in that situation. Let me know your opinion, please. Thanks a lot!
For some reason, I would say "put into" here. The mug is a small thing, and you are really putting something INSIDE it. Alternatively you might say "tip into" (if it's powder is coming from a sachet) or "scoop into" (if is sticky cake mixture coming from a bowl) or "pour into" (if it's really liquid) - which might be more common to see in practice. "Place" sounds better if doing something with more space, care and precision. e.g. placing candles on top of the cake, placing a slide under a microscope. "Place the mug in the microwave" works well. However, for the ingredients, I would "put/tip/scoop/pour into" the mug This is all describing a small feel about the language. These small things are the most difficult part of language learning. This is not a stupid question at all.
As a native speaker and a person who does a lot of baking, I would prefer the use of the word, "into". It is often needed to make the instructions easier to follow. For example, many recipes start like this: "In a small bowl, stir together flour and sugar". However, further instructions might require a noticeable change in wording such as this, "Into a larger bowl, add butter and salt". Hope this is helpful
Use "place in" So you would place something in a bowl. We generally use "in" when the object isn't completely surrounded by the space you are placing the object in. So... in a bowl, in a cup... etc. Into is used when something goes into an enclosed space, like a room. "I walked into the the room" - the room is a closed space (from all sides - roof, floor and walls). You can inject a substance into something else... like water into a lemon, or medicine into a muscle/vein/artery - these are all enclosed spaces and once the substance goes in... you can't see it. Hope this makes sense.
I'd go with "in" after "place" :) But often there are several OK structures or choices in English, and this is another of those occasions : choose what you like (and enjoy the food!)
Hello i hope everything's good for all Exemples : In : - He's in the room. He's sitting in a chair. - He came/got in, sat down and started to read. - Come in ! - What a lot of trouble I'm in Into : - She came into the room and sat down. - She dived into the swimming pool. - They walked out into the garden to have a chat together. - I ran into the hall to see what had happened. - I opened the door and went into the room. - A bird flew into my study through the window. - He crashed/drove/bumped into a tree. Maybe that will help you to determine your needs. Good luck