Kia
Alarm system goes off or trips off ? Do we say "When the alarm system goes off or trips off ?" Could you suggest me some more phrasal verbs here please Here I mean the Alarm is triggered on
Dan's answer is interesting. As a British English speaker, I have never heard "trips off" (although I would understand your meaning). I suspect this might be more American or scientific/technical language (?) I would say the alarm system "goes off" In a house, we have trip switches, and when these go, we say "the switch has tripped". However, this is the only example I can think of. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/trip-switch
"The wind shook the car and tripped the alarm system. The alarm system went off." In this context, "tripped" is usually a transitive verb. The subject is the thing that caused the alarm system to go off. The alarm system is the object, not the subject, of "tripped." That it, we do not say "the alarm system tripped," but we could say, in the passive voice, "the alarm system was tripped by the wind." We can also say that the wind "triggered" the alarm system or "set off" the alarm system. Quite possibly some people might say the alarm system "tripped," but that would be informal and not really correct.
We simply say: the alarm went off/goes off
Alarm system switch off / switch on Or Alarm system armed / disarmed Exemple : connected / disconnected Good luck