Girls at the piano
A word choice "In __ of the case, I e-mailed Professor Duneier with many of my questions. He graciously replied, but for him, too, this was going to be a new experience. Knowing this actually helped me to relax a little." (A)apprehension (B) collaboration(C0 anticipation (D) assumption The answer is (C). I chose (A) because it seems to me that the student was nervous (or even worried). Is there a usage like "in apprehension of"? Or it's simply wrong because (C) is better?
I’m afraid the the only option that collocates well is “in anticipation of”. While it may be true that the speaker was apprehensive (or not; maybe it was excitement rather than apprehension), the adjective “apprehension” simply doesn’t collocate well between “in” and “of”. Also, we don’t really know if the speaker e-mailed the professor *because* of feelings of apprehension. All we know is that the speaker e-mailed the professor *before* the case. By the way, Piano Girl, what exam are you preparing for?