Tâm
Should I say? 1. Should I say “This is” or “These are”? “This is the Great Lakes” or “These are the Great Lakes.” “This is the Himalayas” or “These are the Himalayas.” “This is the Taylors.” Or “These are the Taylors. (=the Taylors family)” “This is the Perellis.” Or “These are the Perellis. (=Mr. and Mrs. Perelli)” 2. Do we use “the” before the name of a cave? - This is the Son Doong cave. 3. Do we use “the” before the name of a group of caves? - These are the Waitomo Glowworm Caves. Thanks!
Thank you for all your hep!
Regarding question 3, best I could find is this: https://falconediting.com/en/blog/the-proper-use-of-articles-in-english-writing This gives some general rules e.g. landmarks need "the" I would actually disagree with some items in your list "Politicians sit in the Houses of Parliament" "Oh look, it's the Sydney opera house" Maybe then the general rules on that website work. However, I expect there are just some exceptions e.g. "We visited Trump Tower" and "We visited the Eiffel Tower"... I cannot explain this!
1) These are the great lakes. There are more than one great lake and each has a different name. If the WHOLE area is called "the great lakes" then you would use "this". Each lake is known as a great lake, so a collection of great lakes is referred to as "these" This/these are both right. "This is the Himalayas" refers to the region called the Himalayas. "These are the Himalayas" refers to each mountain in the mountain range as a collection, called the Himalayas These are the Taylors/Perellis. There are more than one person with the same surname, so you say these. Even though they are a couple, they are still individuals. IF they have become known (been given a noun) as the parellis - then you can use this is. "Brangelina" was a name given to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. In this case, a couple have been given a collective name. This is Brangelina - refers to both. Make sense? These = more than one. This = one (including a region - like the Himalayas 2) I think either works well here. I would probably say "this is Song Doong cave". Its a single cave and you don't need to add "the". If there was a region of caves called the Son Doong caves, and you were pointing out the cave that gave the whole region its name, then add "the" - but emphasise "the" - because its THEEEEEE Son Doong Cave that gave the whole region its name .... its important! "Hi, I'm Brad Pitt", " Not THEEEE Brad Pitt?!" 3) The Waitamo Glowworm Caves - more than once cave gets "the" The use of "the" is diffcult. The white house The Doncaster hotel Houses of parliament Trump tower - not the The daily telegraph National geographic - not the The Eiffel tower Sydney opera house Maybe someone in the forum could help with this one??
hello inbox