bear234
Why use SPEAK rather than TALK? We had a little quarrel one day last month,and after that day,we did not SPEAK to each other for a whole week.
speak = 說 talk = 講 talk (noun) 談話 say = 話 as in 話說
I also had the same doubt when I started learning English about 3 years ago, but after digging up a little bit about it, I found some info saying that most of time, you can use "speak" when you are referring/talking about languages, for instance, what languages do you speak? I speak Portuguese and English.
"Talk" is usually used when 2 or more people are having a conversation. "Speak" is often one-sided, so here it makes more sense to use "speak", because after a quarrel they obviously could not easily have a conversation (i.e. "talk") . They were so angry / upset that they did not even speak to each other, for example, noone said "hello" or "pass me the salt please". They not only stopped having dialogues ("talking"), they stopped saying any words to each other ("speaking"). Hope it helps
Either word is okay. "Speak" is a little more formal.