bear234
What's the difference between SINCE and BECAUSE? What's the difference when they are used to give the reason for something?
SINCE has two different meanings in English, and it's important not to mix them up. Meaning 1. conjunction used to specify the point in time when something started - for example "I have lived in Italy since 2017." You can't use 'because' in this sentence. This is the most common use and students are often confused by the other meaning Meaning 2. conjunction used to give a reason for an action - for example "I won't be wearing a coat today since it is extremely hot." In this sentence you can replace 'since' with 'because - they are synonyms. It seems to me that meaning 2 is less commonly used. It might be about formality but also since/because people are aware there is the possibility for causing confusion!
There are a little difference between Since and Because. Since is used to give the reason for something. For example You have been living in England since 1996. But we use since with a time, year, date. You can use the past perfect and the past perfect before Since. Because is also used when you are give the reason for something.
Basically, "since" refers to a period of time, for example, Since when were you working? So, as you can see, It is asking information about the time that you were working, and you can use "because" whenever you need to explain something to someone, for example, why are you studying for English? "Because I wanna be able to speak to anyone who speaks English."
In most cases, they can be used interchangeably but "since" is more formal. When you're asking a question, checking if something is the actual reason, you wouldn't use "since": Were you upset because I was laughing at you?
You can mostly use them interchangeably, but in a sentence like "The bike is rusty BECAUSE OF all the rain" I wouldn't say the "The bike is rusty SINCE all the train"