Kihwan jung
'Take a drink out of Stanley cup' meaning. I'm confused about the meaning of 'out of'. Well I know 'out of' is used like, 'I just got out of the house.' In this sentence, does 'out of' mean 'at'? If not, what is the correct meaning of that sentence?
I agree with Saqib.. "out of" is the same as "from". To me "take a drink from the Stanley cup" is more natural.
It means from. Like you drink water from a bottle or from a cup. You can replace from with out of to get drink water from a bottle or drink water from a cup.
The "Stanley Cup" part might be significant. This is a trophy in north American ice hockey, it seems. So alongside the literal meaning of drinking from the trophy there is a possible symbolic meaning of sampling the joy of winning the trophy, winning a championship. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup