Alexis Espinoza
Can I say this vague comment when the next situation shows up? In the restaurant I work at, a customer ask for a plate to which i reply saying: we don't have plates for the moment. Suddenly a coworker shows up then say what do you need? To which I answer: plates; he then go back to the kitchen to wash the plates, then I (almost unconsciouslly, without thinking on my words nor even trying to communicate what I'm saying but saying to myself) make this comment: it was needed to wash them. Does that comment fit I mean is it well said?
I would understand you, no problems. But not quite natural. 'He's going to clean some plates' is a better response, IF you don't mind the customer knowing they need to be cleaned first. But if you want to hide the fact of the plates having to be cleaned, a more general comment would be: 'He's going to look for some spare plates'.
I should have washed them. . Or: all I needed to do was wash them.
I think THEY JUST NEEDED TO GET WASHED is better. But I’m not sure.
what you mean actually