younes
that people would--there were no wires, hi there whats meaing of" that people would--there were no wires, " i dont understand this sentence. I'm thinking of one Dr. Bettelheim, head of the Orthogenic School in Chicago. One of his, in "The Empty Fortress," his book, he speaks of Joey the Mechanical Boy. And Joey the Mechanical Boy was so good, he was an autistic, that people would--there were no wires, but he said there were wires. And he acted as though there actually were all kinds of wires. People, visitors would step over the imaginary wires or walk around because they believed Joey. So one day, Dr. Bettelheim asked if he could come to WFMT studios, he's interested in being a radio engineer, and I met him. And he's quite remarkable. I wouldn't, I couldn't tell one thing or another whether he was or--he seemed quite normal. He was Joey the Mechanical Boy and learning things from our engineer, listening, and I think he became a sound engineer somewhere else. But it's that constant, but it's that making others believe it's actually so
It's an incomplete thought that is completed in a later sentence. So he starts a sentence "People would..." then says "there were no wires" and explains that Joey who has autism acts as if there are wires. Then he continues (here's the rest of the 'people would" 'visitors would step over the imaginary wires." So Joey was so good pretending that there were wires all over that people who visited would step over these imaginary wires.
Hello! This section of the book was written as a conversation, so we have to break down the sentence as if someone was talking to us. Joey the Mechanical Boy was so good......(clarifying) --> "he was an autistic"<--, that people would.... (pause) (clarifying)-->there were no wires<-- BUT he said there were wires... So, what the person he is interviewing is trying to say is: Joey the Mechanical Boy was so good that people would step over imaginary wires because, even though there were no wires, they believed him.