sueyanglala
How to understand "there’s real power in sharing volunteer responsibilities among many" here? “You can use me as a last resort(选择), and if nobody else volunteers,then I will do it.” This was an actual reply from a parent after I put out a request for volunteers for my kids lacrosse(长曲棍球)club. I guess that there's probably some demanding work schedule, or social anxiety around stepping up to help for an unknown sport. She may just need a little persuading. So I try again and tug at the heartstrings. I mention the single parent with four kids running the show and I talk about the dad coaching a team that his kids aren’t even on … At this point the unwilling parent speaks up,“Alright. Yes, I’ll do it.” I’m secretly relieved because I know there’s real power in sharing volunteer responsibilities among many. The unwilling parent organizes the meal schedule, sends out emails, and collects money for end-of-season gifts. Somewhere along the way, the same parent ends up becoming an invaluable member of the team. The coach is able to focus on the kids while the other parents are relieved to be off the hook for another season. Handing out sliced oranges to bloodthirsty kids can be as exciting as watching your own kid score a goal. "there’s real power in sharing volunteer responsibilities among many" Does it mean sharing volunteer responsibilities has some kind of power, although you don't like it at first, once you have done it, you kind of like it?
In my opinion, “power” is a bad choice of words for what the author is trying to say. A better word would be “utility” or “usefulness.” The sentence seems to mean “There is real utility/usefulness in sharing volunteer responsibilities among many [because even volunteers who start with small roles sometimes end up making important contributions, etc.]”. Or, “It is useful to share volunteer responsibilities among many because . . . “