James
Usage of tte after noun って Hello italki community! Hope you're all having a good day :) Just a quick question about a song I'm translating. 「。。。現実ってやつか?」 This is a line from the song Again by Yui, following the line: 「何から逃れたいんだ」 I understand that in casual speech, って can be used similarly to は, and also its usage when quoting, but I can't see why it is used here. If anyone knows, please share your knowledge, as I'd really appreciate the help! :D Thank you all, James
どういたしまして。
ああ、そうですね! I actually didn't know about its usage as a replacement for という! それはきっと役に立つでしょう! 助けてありがとうございました!:)
You need to interpret the two lines as a whole. The first line says "What do you want to escape from?", while second line says "From the so-called reality?" / "って" could mean "は" depending on the context as you said. /i.e. 君って本当にいい人だ。(君は本当にいい人だ)/ In this song, however, it is almost the same as "という”, which usually means "so-called..." or "what is called...". Precisely speaking, "という" has been changed over the years to "って" so that you can pronouce it more easily. / If you were to say what the two lines mean in a single sentence, it would be " (君は) 現実ってやつから逃れたいのか?".