Cláudia Oliveira
What has been your biggest challenge during yout English lerning process?ing p I've been learning English since 2003 and I think I should already speak it fluently. Actually, I feel that there are lots of things I haven't learnt yet. Besides that, I find it too hard to memorize and to use the phrasal verbs. The advanced listening is a big challenge for me and I think it happens because I'm not used to writing and putting what I learn in practice. Furthermore I have nobody to practice the speaking with me, what sometimes makes me feel unmotivated to keep studying. And you?
My biggest problem is memorizing the names of people. At university we had a lot of reading and listening exercises. Therefore, the names were not as important as the new vocabulary. So in real life it is now difficult for me to remember the name of a person, even if it is an important person.
I learn English since I'm ten, started at school, now I'm 20 and i'm pretty good at it, but when I have to read, If i see a number I'll still say it in French half the time... Same for cities, or names, I forget the accent... Also, phonetics. English pronounciation is horrible for French native, and I am no exception. I know the phonetics alphabet, but I still can't get it right, and my accent is terrible when I speak. Maybe it would be better if I wasn't too shy to SPEAK in class...
I totally agree with you ! The biggest challenge is to keep practicing the language, it's really easy to forget vocabulary if you don't practice the language often ! And find people to practice is not easy too, but I keep trying !
I think the biggest challenge that I have been facing during acquiring a second language is to find people who I can practice and exchange my knowledge with them. It is not an easy job at all because people around me do not care of talking English. It is very rare to sit with someone and talk in English freely.
x2, The same situation, speaking is hard because I can not practice with someone every time I want to. I hope I can go somewhere else where everybody speak english or find a speaking mate.