Anna
What's the difference between "think of" and "think about" ? Hello everyone! I suppose this question has probably been asked many times. I've read some articles on this question, however, I still don't understand the difference... Could anyone explain to me this, please? I would be very grateful for your explanation. If there are any mistakes in my question, correct me, please.
I am thinking about my job/my friend... я думаю о.....(think about) Think about:ponder/contemplate/consider Think of: I can not think of his name(remember) think of a word(chose quickly) Think of poor man having...(bear in mind)
In question form: What do you think of her new haircut? (Looking for or expecting a quick answer, I love it/ It’s ugly/I didn’t notice she got a haircut.) What do you think about Brexit? (Inviting a longer response.) Depending on the context, you could give a short or long response to either question, though, because the questions are open-ended. I’m thinking of inviting John to the party. I’m thinking about inviting John to the party. (These two are pretty similar but “about” suggests that there’s more to think about)
"Think about" would imply some period of contemplating. You can say you just thought _of_ something when an idea comes to your mind, but when you spend some time pondering that idea, you can say that you thought _about_ it. Они различаются так же, как русские слова "подумать" и "думать", но у английского выражения "think of" есть и другие, схожие значения (см. ответ ниже).