LEE
Pleas tell me about the meaning. "Conference room is down there." Can you tell me about the exact meaning of it? I wonder if it means the conference room is downstairs or it is a little far from this spot.
Hi Lee, The person saying "the conference room is down there" would be indicating, or pointing, in the direction of "down there". It means some distance from where you are standing (as you said, further down the hall, etc.). It doesn't mean downstairs. If the conference room were downstairs, the person giving the directions would indicate so by using "downstairs", not "down there". Have a nice day, Shani
If you're talking with someone, and they are giving directions, then "there" is the direction they are pointing or indicating. It could be downstairs or it could be a bit farther in the hall. You will also hear "up there." The use of down/up shows how the speaker is orienting the area, and does not necessarily mean stairs are involved.