Ethan Lee
Questions about phrasing in an admission letter I'm translating an admission letter into English. A phrase confuses me. A student can apply for admission to my school by way of a joint placement or an individual application. Here goes: 'Congratulations on your admission to the Bachelor's Program in the Department of Accounting at [University] through the joint assignment [the individual application] for the Fall 2019.' My questions are as follows: 1. 'the joint assignment' or 'a joint assignment', or there's no need to put an article there (the same question applies to 'individual application')? 2. Applicants are assessed for what universities they are going to by their scores of the joint entrance exam. That's 'joint placement' or 'joint assignment'? Are they the same? 3. 'through', 'by' or 'via' the joint assignment or individual application? 4. Apart from the aforesaid, what else do I need to rephrase? Thank you very much!
1. 'the joint assignment' or 'a joint assignment', or there's no need to put an article there (the same question applies to 'individual application')? Assuming that a *specific* joint assignment and / or individual application has not been mentioned, I agree it’s best with no article. Essentially, it’s part of an adverbial phrase. 2. Applicants are assessed for what universities they are going to by their scores of the joint entrance exam. That's 'joint placement' or 'joint assignment'? Are they the same? First, it should be “scores *on* the joint entrance exam” or “joint entrance exam scores”. I’m not familiar with either of those specialized terms. Are students being placed, or assigned? It sounds more like placement to me. “Assignment” sounds more like they’re being forced into something. 3. 'through', 'by' or 'via' the joint assignment or individual application? It really doesn’t matter. I suppose I like “through” the best, but they’re all the same. 4. Apart from the aforesaid, what else do I need to rephrase? Your English seems better than that of most native speakers. One thing, would it be possible to send separate letters to the two groups — one for joint placement and another for individual application?