Wu Ting
How would you interpret the phrase “get a kick out of” in the context? How would you interpret the phrase “get a kick out of” in the fifth sentence? Does the word “kick” mean great pleasure? And I would think the “out of” means “because”. What do you think? Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Korbi’s Girl” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. And I’m reading an English translation. the context: Korbi was a punk like all punks. The kind that you don’t know whether they’re uglier or stupider. And like all punks he had a beautiful girlfriend, who no one could understand what she was doing with him. She was a tall brunette, taller than him, and her name was Marina. And whenever I passed them on the street with my big brother, Myron, I would get a kick out of seeing him move his head from side to side in a kind of slow “no” movement. As if he was saying to himself, “What a waste, what a waste.” Korbi’s girlfriend must have gotten a kick out of these head movements too, because whenever we came down the street opposite her and Korbi she would smile at my brother.
Hello, "get a kick out of" in this context means to enjoy, perhaps with some amusement. We can use "get a kick out of" to express enjoyment, amusement or excitement. Here is an example using the "excitement" connotation: My son, even though he is 16 years old, really gets a kick out of lighting sparklers on the Fourth of July! Have a nice day, Shani