Dan
lo and behold Hello, Can any native speaker make expressions using this, 'lo and behold' and explain about it? It sounds like the speaker has a feeling of slightly overwhelmed by something all of a sudden but still throws me a wondering on the nuance in how it has to be used in a sentence. Thank you for your input!
“Lo and behold” means “look and see” (“lo” is probably a shortening of “look,” per Google). It can be used seriously, such as when something amazing happens. Example: The wizard waved his wand and said “Lo and behold, I have transformed this mouse into a mighty dragon.” But is is often used humorously, such as to add a mock sense of solemnity or wonder to an occasion. Example: (To your friend upon seeing him after he returns from an overseas vacation) “Lo and behold, the mighty world traveler has finally returned.”