Jolanta
Professional Teacher
Jak można przetłumaczyć to zdanie? Jak można przetłumaczyć to zdanie? "No one has been able to match Gershwin's ability to write original works that cross the boundaries of jazz, opera."
I’m afraid I can’t translate into Polish, but if you’re wondering about the word “match”. A close synonym would be “equal”. In context, “match” is a verb, the second definition (as a verb) in the MacMillan: 2 [TRANSITIVE] to be equal to something else in amount or level Our office failed to match the growth of the rest of the company. be matched by something: The rise in student numbers has not been matched by an increase in teaching staff. match something for something: Japanese companies are beginning to match US companies for size. https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/match_2 By the way, I’m not sure why there is only a comma separating “jazz” and “opera” — I would expect a conjunction like “and”.