Era
Verbs CO Please give me a list of verbs, after which Complex Object cannot be used. Such as suggest, recommend, deny..., for example. I tried to find the information on the Internet, but it turned out to be a bit complicated. Thank you.
9. Juli 2019 10:20
7
1
1)Some verbs(deny,etc) that are followed by two objects cannot have their object reversed with for/to: *We all envied him his lifestyle.(but not We all envied his lifestyle for/to him.) Some verbs(suggest, describe, fix, etc), can only have a second object if this is a prepositional object - #with to. Compare: *She described the situation (to me).(but not She described me the situation.) and Some verbs(adapt, adjust, admit, look forward, own up, resort, etc) can be followed by to+-ing or by to+noun phrase where to is a preposition: *She confessed to stealing the money. *You don't object to the work, do you? After have, let and make we can use an object+bare infinitive but not to-infifinitve: *His exam results might make him work harder.(not..might make him to work..) Other verbs(..) can be followed by different prepositions+-ing. #on+-ing or on+object+-ing (concentrate, count, depend, focus, insist, rely) *Clare insisted on (Jack) wearing a suit to the party. After some verbs(..) we need to include an object before a to-infinitive in active sentences: *The police warned everyone to stay inside with their windows closed.(not The police warned to stay..) After other verbs(..), however, we can't include an object before a to-infinitive: *We've decided to leave early.(not We've decided us to leave early.) After some verbs(..) we have to put a preposition, usually for, immediately after the verb before an object+to-infinitive: *They arranged for Rania to stay in London.(not They arranged Rania to stay..) Other verbs(..) can be followed by different prepositions+object+to-infinitive.Ex: #to+object+to-infinitive (appeal,gesture,motion,signal) *He closed the door and signaled to the pilot to take off. I suggest the simple task to you, where you don't need to find verbs without to. You can see the correct grammar rules of Complex Object (It's easier). You find a lot of verbs. You can take a look at a textbook "Advanced Grammar in use.3rd ed" by Hewings Martin. Units:
10. Juli 2019
I know, native English speakers don't say ' I suggest her to come' , ' I insist him to go'. It's incorrect. I would like to know the list of verbs, that cannot be used in this way verb + object + to...
9. Juli 2019
Please could you give some examples? The term 'Complex Object' seems to be a Russian concept which the rest of us are unfamiliar with. Some sample sentences might help.
9. Juli 2019
Thanks for the answer
9. Juli 2019
Hi Era, I just searched the internet and I couldn't find anything. Two interesting things: 1) It appears that most native English speakers have never heard the term "Complex Object", so most of the information that I was able to see over the past 30-40 minutes was written by someone who teaches English, but it's not their primary language, and 2) The vast majority of the sites that had instruction were Russian-related in some way.
9. Juli 2019
Era