younes
'I've read that libraries are where immortality lies" hi there whats meaning of this sentence? 1. "'I've read that libraries are where immortality lies" 2.whats meaning of "flatter" Well, she says, "'Most people can pass on genes--I can pass on thoughts or what I write. This is what I get very upset at.' Temple, who was driving, suddenly faltered and wept. 'I've read that libraries are where immortality lies. I don't want my thoughts to die with me. I want to have done something. I'm not interested in power, or piles of money. I want to leave something behind. I want to make a positive contribution--know that my life has meaning. Right now, I'm talking about things at the very core of my existence.' I was stunned. As I stepped out of the car to say goodbye, I said, 'I'm going to hug you. I hope you don't mind.' I hugged her--and (I think) she hugged me back."
7
0
1) "Mortal" is an adjective. It refer to something that will die. "Immortal" refers to something that will live forever. "All sailors die, but the sea is immortal." "Immortal" can be applied literally. "According to the Greeks, gods like Zeus were immortal." "Immortal" can be applied to a work of art. "Beethoven's Symphony #5 is immortal." That means that his symphony will be performed and listened to forever. We sometimes call artists who create immortal works "immortal" themselves. They will be remembered forever. Their memory will never die. Thus, "Beethoven is one of the immortals." Sometimes, "lie" can mean "a place where something can be found." "Libraries are where immortality lies" means, if you want to be immortal, the place to find immortality is in a library. If you want people to remember you forever, don't try to build a great building, don't try to command an army; try to become a great writer whose books can be found in libraries.
2) The word you are asking about is "falter," not "flatter." They are completely different. To "falter" means to stumble, to hesitate for a second. It suggests a momentary difficulty or mistake. I think Sacks is referring to Temple Grandin's talking, not her driving. She is speaking fluidly, smoothly, eloquently, and then she "falters"--stops speaking. In this case, she stops speaking for a moment. Her speech falters. The reason is that she has started to weep. 3) To "flatter" somebody is to say nice things about them in order to please them or influence them. Flattery is often false. (We often use the word "insincere." Flattery is often insincere.) For example, a salesperson might say "I really like the way you look in your clothing, you're a very sharp dresser." He doesn't really think so. But he hopes it will make you feel good and buy more.
(accidentally misposted as a comment)
younes
English, Persian (Farsi)