L. K.
What does "Squatting Shakespeare" mean? Hi, I translated the title of an article from Spanish into English and I would like to know if English native speakers understand what I wanted to express with "Squatting Shakespeare". Could you please explain me what you understand about this title? Thanks!
To squat = to illegally live in/on or take possesion of a home/house or piece of land. To squat also has another meaning = to study hard and learn as much information as possible about a subject, before an exam. To squat up on shakespeare would mean to learn as much about him as possible. We usually use this phrase before taking an exam, if the exam is near and you have not done your homework. It is becoming a little outdated "to cram" means the same also a little outdated. Or it could be a bad English-Spanish Spanish-English translation.
US: It's an intriguing title and I would probably read the article to find out what it meant. "Squatting" does mean that you are living in a place that isn't yours (hoping not to be kicked out.) "Squatting" is also an position halfway between standing and sitting. (your knees are bent, but you are not resting on anything.) From that second meaning, "squatting" can also refer to using the bathroom. So "Squatting Shakespeare" could mean a lot of things. I would probably read to find out which one.
Thank you for your interest guys. For more informattion, you can see the answer I gave John just below:)
"Squatting Shakespeare" no tiene sentido en inglés. Qué es el titulo en español?
I'm a native English speaker and I'm curious about this too! Never heard the expression in my life.