XiaoDeng
hold out I held out as long as I could.(from a TV series) (A girl was  looking at the private legal file she found from her father's confidential files. Her father is a lawyer.) I always feel that it should be 'held it out'. Hold something out, hold out. Which one do you use?
No , "held out" is correct. It means "to delay taking some action as long as possible ." "The man was on a flight from Viet Nam to the US. He was a heavy smoker and he not had a cigarette all day. He held out as long as he could but finally couldn't stand it anymore and went to the bathroom, lit a cigarette and took a few puffs and quickly put out the cigarette. "
"Hold out" does not mean to delay. It means to continue to do something in the face of pressure to change. The strike continued because the union was holding out for higher wages. The army held out against the enemy forces for as long as they could, but eventually they had to surrender. I'm expecting everyone to give generously to the cause. No holding out on me.