Wu Ting
How would you interpret “iron-pumping hoods” in the last sentence? How would you interpret “iron-pumping hoods” in the last sentence? Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Shoes” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. And I’m reading an English translation. the context: After the pictures they led us into a big hall and showed us a movie about little children who were shoved into a truck and then suffocated by gas. Then an old skinny man got on the stage and told us what bastards and murderers the Nazis were and how he took revenge on them, and even strangled a soldier with his own hands until he died. Jerby, who was sitting next to me, said the old man was lying; the way he looks, there’s no way he can make any soldier bite the dust. But I looked the old man in the eye and believed him. He had so much anger in his eyes, that all the violent rage of iron-pumping hoods I’ve seen seemed like small change in comparison.
1
0
I'll try my best here :) Pumping iron is a slang for lifting weights (weightlifters). I believe hoods is short for hoodlums which are gangsters, violent criminals and the likes. So it looks like the boy in the story is saying that the old man had enough rage in him that it made those iron pumping hoods (hoodlums?) look like weaklings. (or weak). I hope this makes sense.
Wu Ting