zuotengdazuo
Is my understanding correct? 2. ... the effects on San Francisco were much less than would've occurred with the same earthquake at a closer distance. 3. Not all sects are new religious movements, but many of the new religions exhibit the sectarian characteristic of proclaiming an exclusive truth, and even those that claim that they do not do so may, in practice, turn out to be far less internally tolerant of diversity than might at first appear. Hi. Sentence 2 and 3 appear wrong to me. I think 2 should be “the effects on San Francisco were much _fewer_ than would've occurred with the same earthquake at a closer distance” (because “effects” are countable and “fewer” stands for “effects”) and 3 “... less internally tolerant of diversity than _they_ might at first appear”. What do you think of my understanding? Thank you.
4
0
On #2, it's speaking generically about possible damage. It's not talking about the number of events that took place, it's talking about the strength and impact of the damage. So it's not really countable. Your edit in #3 is fine, but I don't think the original is wrong, the "they" feels implied to me.
zuotengdazuo
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese