Andrés
Why the main verb is not conjugated in the following case? Why sometimes a main verb is not conjugated when we are talking about a fact from the past but instead we put "did" on it? For instance, "Not only DID it improve their performance of a subsequent test of rationality; it also boosted their learning of the historical facts too" _________ I hope to have been clear about it, thanks
¡Hola! En el pasado, el auxiliar seguido de la forma infinitiva del verbo principal puede usarse en oraciones afirmativas para expresar el énfasis. En el habla, se subraya el auxiliar. En realidad, se conjuga de acuerdo con el tiempo. Por lo tanto, tenemos una oración en tiempo presente como: "I do want to go, but it's too expensive." y en el pasado: "I did want to tell you, but I didn't know how." Es solo una palabra complementaria que se usa para enfatizar la sinceridad o el entusiasmo por algo. ¡Espero que esto te ayude!
I'm not sure I quite understand your question, but DID is the conjugated form of DO.
Thank you Su.Ki... You're reason, but I also think both informations works in order to resolve the issue about why auxiliar verbs appears in this kind of cases, thank you again
Phil has given you the right answer. Clauses that begin with 'Not only' (and the other phrases which Phil gave you) automatically trigger an inversion of the subject and verb. This is not about emphasis - it's about the basic grammar of inversion. Where there's an auxiliary or modal verb, you simply reverse the order: for example, "Not only will it improve their performance" or "Not only has it improved their performance". However, when you have a simple tense (present simple or past simple), this isn't possible. In order to have a verb to put on either side of the subject ( as in "will it improve"), we use the auxiliary verb "did" and the base form of the verb : "Not only did it improve..." Here's a tip. It's always worth waiting for someone to turn up with the right answer. The first answers you get aren't necessarily the best.
Thanks Phil, very useful your point