Check out our updated Community
Luiz
''Apart'' How do I say that two things are separated by ''something''? For instance, if I wanted to say that ''There is a gulf that separates Paradise from Hell'', could I say it another way, like ''Paradise and Hell are separated by a gulf'' or ''Paradise and Hell are apart by a gulf''? In brief, I wonder whether I can use the word ''by'' after ''apart'' or ''separated'' in a sentence. Would you be so kind as to provide me with a little information on this? Thank you in advance.
Hi Luiz, “separated by” is entirely natural, although this might not be exactly the best context for it. “He tried to write to her regularly, even though they were separated by an ocean.” “Apart” is an adverb, and so “stands apart”, “comes apart”, and especially “falls apart” are the collocations.
have .. between them
So, could I say ''Paradise and heaven are kept apart by a gulf''?
The first way of saying it another way (paraphrase) works. The second does not sound right to me. One way to correct it would be to say "are kept apart" although that implies something the gulf is doing. One uses "are apart" mostly to indicate two people/beings are in different places. for example: Sam went on vacation, now he and Anna are apart
Luiz
English, Portuguese