Sarah
A latched gate gave way to steps that descended to a planked walkway over the grass A latched gate gave way to steps that descended to a planked walkway over the grass what does "A latched gate gave way to steps that descended to a planked walkway over the grass mean?
"A latched gate gave way to steps that descended to a planked walkway over the grass" There was a gate, without a lock (a latch holds the gate shut, but anyone can open it). Then there were some stairs (steps) which went down (descended). To a walkway made of wooden boards (planks). Which went over the grass. I suspect that the difficult part of the sentence is "gave way". To "give way" means to yield or give up something. If two people are walking towards each other, one of them will usually give way. This means that one of them got out of the way and allowed the other person to pass. It's a voluntary thing, you GIVE the other person the "way" or the path. That is the most literal use of the phrase "give way" but we can use the same type of meaning for all kinds of things. "My grief gave way to anger" - means that my grief got out of the way and allowed anger to take it's place. "The children were crying so I gave way and bought them some gelato" - means the parent stopped resisting and allowed the children to have gelato. "A latched gate gave way to steps" - this is a poetic and graceful way to say that there was a gate and then immediately after the gate there were steps. The author is obviously trying to create a mood in the reader. He or she wants the reader to flow through the gate and down the steps and over the walkway in a very easy and gentle manner. That's why it's a latched gate and not a locked gate. That's why the gate "got out of the way quickly" (gave way), and the steps descended (which is a gentle way of saying went down). A planked walkway is a pleasant and charming path, and it goes OVER the grass so it will not crush it (how kind!). Yes, the author is painting a lovely picture in our minds. If I wanted to create the opposite effect I would say..."a locked gate blocked the steps which plummeted down to a concrete road through the grass".
Hi Sarah! Looks like you are reading quite the interesting book! A latched gate is a kind of gate that has a special closing mechanism. It's commonly seen on fences or outdoor buildings (like barns). https://images.app.goo.gl/agKwnU1TXiXWiTwp9 To "give way" to something often means to yield or "give in" to something, but in this context, it just means to lead to another area. A planked walkway could also be known as a "boardwalk" or "decked path". You often see these close to the ocean or wet areas. A planked walkway over grass might be the kind of thing you would see in a nature park or other public outdoor place to protect the ground or plants from being walked on by visitors. Check out this image for a look: https://images.app.goo.gl/a2AGKDrR7z5ksfQU8 Hope this helps! Let me know if you have other questions :)
A latched gate is a gate, with a handle, that is closed but not locked. To give way to something, in this context, means leads to. Steps that descend just means that the steps go down towards something. A plank is a long piece of wood so the planks cover the grass to make a path that people can walk down.