Aud
When I Was Younger If someone says "when I was younger", what period of time is it about - childhood or any earlier period of his life? Thank you!
16
0
It will usually be obvious from context. In my opinion, it often refers to 15-20 years earlier in the person's life. "When I was younger, I went out drinking every weekend." (A 35-year-old person probably referring to their 20s) "When I was younger, playing with my grandchildren was easier." (A 70-year-old person probably referring to their 50s.) As DavidK mentioned, "When I was a child," "When I was a teenager," "When I was a university student," "When I was working at my first job," are relatively common.
I think it would be odd, but not exactly wrong, for an adult to use it to refer to his childhood. If said by an adult in his 40s, the default assumption would be earlier in adulthood.
It usually means 'when I was a child', but could mean anytime before now. It's ambiguous.
I am😊Thank you.
|:) We only pretend, sometimes. It's the tradtional British "stiff upper lip"! :) I hope you're happy too.
Aud
Danish, English, French, German, Norwegian, Russian
Danish, English, French, German, Norwegian