Iwona
How to understand "rundlich als schlank" Hi. I'm begginer in German. In my textbook I've come across sentence: "Ich bin mittelgroß, eher rundlich als schlank." I have a question to the second part of that sentence. Does "rundlich" relate to the face (oval/round) and "schlank" to the body? Or does this sentence mean something like "I'm rather fat than slim"? I can't figure it out using dictionary. Thanks for help :)
2019年7月13日 20:30
5
0
I'm rather chubby/plumb than slim. It relates to the whole body. Sounds to me like a joking description ;)
2019年7月13日
Hi Iwona. A better (more positive) English expression would be "curvy". You may have heard this English word before. "rundlich"in German sounds more positive than "plump" or "dick". Hope this helps. Rüdiger
2019年7月15日
Both adjectives refer to the figure in general. The construction is "eher X als Y", which translates to "rather X than Y". In this case, the person describes their own figure as "rather roundish than slim".
2019年7月15日
The latter, though I'd rather (eher) say something like "chubby" than (als) "fat".
2019年7月13日
Iwona
English, German, Polish
English, German