Niwantha
Do I have to use "passive voice" in the following context? Hi friends, Do I have to use "passive voice" in the following context? Should it be "nothing has finalized yet" or "nothing has been finalized yet" ? If you were to write it, how would you express this idea? 1) Ann started applying for jobs 03 months ago and nothing has finalized yet. 2) Ann started applying for jobs 03 months ago and nothing has been finalized yet. Thanks in advance! Niwantha
"finalized" is not the right word for your example, but something like your example should be passive. I'm thinking of transferring to Mumbai but nothing has been finalized yet. (There have been some discussions and there is a real possibility, but no final plans) I will finalize my plans after doing a little more research.
I disagree a little with David, in that I feel 'finalized' works well in your example. Perhaps the difference is between UK English and NA English .... not sure. My personal preference of your two sentences is the passive form. That's what I would use all the time. The first sounds a touch awkward to me.
1 is ok, 2 is better