Daniele
Give up - Give in Sorry could someone explain me the different between GIVE UP or GIVE IN and how to use them in context? Are they interchangeable? Thank you
2
0
'Give in' means to yield or admit defeat. You can give in to temptation or give in to pressure when you acknowledge that these are too great for you. If you keep on asking, he'll eventually give in and say 'yes' ". 'Give up' means 'decide to stop' if it's followed by a gerund: You should give up smoking. I gave up playing the violin because it was too hard. 'Give up' means 'renounce' if it's followed by a noun: If I won the lottery, I'd give up my job. King Edward VIII gave up the crown. One context where they'd be interchangeable is if you're playing a guessing game. When you're tired of guessing, you can say either 'I give up!' (meaning I want to stop) or 'I give in' (meaning that I admit defeat).
Hello Daniele. Good question, they are quite different and can’t be used interchangeably. Give up- this is simply another way of saying ‘quit’. You would use this when you want to say you are abandoning something you were doing. For example, ‘I give up on learning to dance’, ‘I gave up eating meat for lent’, ‘I am giving up pursuing my dreams for her’. Give in: This is like to stop trying to avoid something . The best example for this is to ‘give in’ to temptation. For example, ‘I had been eating healthy for a week but I finally gave in when I smelt the cake’. The ‘give’ changes form depending on the tense you want to use. I hope this is helpful.
Daniele
English, French, Italian