Hazem
What does( bar brawl )mean? I was just thinking yesterday about how peaceful it has been on social media and how I haven't been in a FaceBook "bar brawl" in many months. Until just now when I put my admin hat back on for MPV and banned all the homophobes from my most recent post (I think I got them all). Holy crap were they ever busy being nasty. Don't people have jobs? WTF!!! Haters - gfys!!!
3
0
It's a bar fight. It's in quotes because it's being used figuratively as an online fight or argument and not an actual physical altercation.
Hello Hazem, how have you been? The word/noun "brawl" means a physical fight, a rough, physical, beating each other, fight. The phrase "bar brawl" means some drunken fight in a bar. As you sometimes see, for example, in Western (cowboy) movies, where the people get drunk in a bar and begin fighting and wreck the place--tables, chairs, etc. In your example, they are using the phrase or the image of a "bar brawl" to describe some of the vicious VERBAL fighting that takes places in social media, FaceBook, etc, over different volatile issues in the world today. As always my friend, best wishes in your language studies and write me if you have more questions or if my comments are unclear.
Hazem
Arabic, English