A Method to learn Czech Words Faster I have noticed that some Czech nouns (and their derivations) are actually created from much simpler words plus prepositions or other words. Take the farewell expression 'sbohem', if we break it down, we get 's + Bůh (7. bohem)', which means 'with god'. Since I don't have much exposure to Czech culture (or European/Slavic culture in general) and my command of the Czech language is still very elementary, I have begun to draw upon universal concepts to try to explain why certain Czech words are the way they are. For example, the English adjective "native" can be translated as "domorodý" or "původní". Domorodý (dům + rod = home + family) to me focuses on the relationship between the person and his environment while Původní (po + voda = beyond/at + water/amniotic fluid) focuses on the source of the person, which is the womb. So we can say that a Japanese person born and raised in the Czech Republic is a native (domorodý) and yet he also isn't a native (nepůvodní). The noun versions are the same: Domorodec leans towards native-indigenity while Původ, native-ancestry. Do you think this is a feasible method to learn new Czech words, or am I just hampering my learning by creating fallacies in my mind?
Thanks, Antoine! You also think in concepts, yes? I'll make this my 'official' method of learning new Czech words. It's slow, sure, but 'too much haste means less speed' is true for me...and maybe for you, too? (Sorry for writing this in english! 🙇)
Myslím si, že je to výborná metoda. Hodně ji používám při učení nových slovíček ve španělštině. Můj mozek si je tak lépe zapamatuje.