ildikodeak
Is it ok to leave out the relative pronoun here? Hi Guys, ok, I think now I can say that this is a recurring issue for me.. would it be grammatically ok to omit "they" in the following sentence? a part of me tells that I shouldn't but ... still, to my ears it doesn't sound THAT bad..? can anyone pls help? thanks :) :) "For best results, Invisalign® trays should be worn for twenty to twenty-two hours a day, and they have to be changed approximately once every fortnight."
How about "yes" with a caveat: "should be worn...and changed approximately..."? :) I'm not sure what (or if there is) a grammar point to this, but to my ears, the two verb constructions would need to be similar enough (in this case, they would implicitly share "should be") so that it was evident that they also share the same subject.
Yes, it's fine to leave out "they" (BTW, it's a subject pronoun, not a relative pronoun like "that" or "which"). "And" and "or" can be used to connect two verbs to make a compound predicate after a single subject. Bob [eats] and [runs]. Bob [eats chicken] and [runs marathons]. Bob [is given chicken by his friends] and [should run more often in order to burn off the fat that he gains by eating so much chicken].