Community Web Version Now Available
What do you call people who share a house with each other? I know that the word roomate is used to describe someone who shares a room with someone else. But what about two or more people who share a house? What are they called in English?
Jul 16, 2019 10:34 PM
Answers · 14
They are called housemates.
July 17, 2019
I'm also from the US and I do hear people use the term housemate as well as the term roommate.
July 17, 2019
Hi Annette, “Roommates” is the most common term in American English, but unlike other answerers I don’t think “housemate” is unheard of. Maybe it’s just my generation or living with many students from around the world, though.
July 17, 2019
Americans do use "housemates". In college, a roommate is someone you actually share the room with, perhaps 1 to 3 other people in a dormitory room. If those people shared a house where everyone had their own room, they would use "housemates" to distinguish from the former situation. If there is any kind of confusion like that, people would use something other that "roommate", such as "someone who shares my apartment" etc. If no confusion were possible, people might revert to using "roommate" but "housemate" could also be used.
July 17, 2019
I’m a native from the USA. We never say housemates. We would use the term roommates no matter the dwelling but it implies that you are renting. You could use the term co-habitating if you are lovers renting a dwelling. Or you could say I co-own my house with a friend/lover if you are purchasing the home together.
July 16, 2019
Show More
Language Skills
English, Italian, Persian (Farsi), Russian
Learning Language
English, Italian, Russian