Darker河马
Pronunciation: comfortAble. Do some native speakers say it like "comfortERble"? Hi there I saw a didactic video on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBEUi9aO7pw At 1:10, 2:05, 2:15【comfortAble】 The lady pronounced the word like "comfortERble". Is this a variant pronunciation of comfortable? And if so, in what regions are this variant popular? Thanks. ps. I am aware that usually the "or" in "comfortable" is not pronounced. My question is about the letter A, which is not followed by R, so it sounds strange to me to change it from a schwa sound to something like the end of "water". U don't say "portable" "syllable" like "porterble" "syllerble"...or do you ?
8
0
What she's saying is more like 'comfTERble', but she's putting too much stress on the 'ter'. It isn't natural. The TV and movie clips are ( of course) correct examples of a natural US pronunciation: three syllables with the stress on the first syllable. Here's the dictionary transcription /ˈkʌmf(ə)təb(ə)l/ - note the stress mark on the first syllable ˈkʌm. Interesting, she says 'comfortable' fairly naturally before the clips. But then when she repeats them after the clips, she is over-emphasising the second syllable. She seems to be a non-native speaker who learnt English at a young age, as she admits that she still occasionally struggles with pronunciation. Listen to how she says 'accurately' with too much stress on the full form 'ate' - that sounds very unnatural. I wouldn't use her as a speech model, if I were you. If you want a good pronunciation video for American English, you should follow Rachel's English. She gives the correct pronunciation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWNySmK01fg
In the UK a lot of people certainly do pronounce it with -er-.
Yes, native speakers in the USA at least will use the variant. But if you are just having a conversation the variant naturally comes out as you are not enunciating each sound.
I live in NY and most people pronounce it,without the er sound, but it is good either way. ER sounds like OR when you say it quickly.
Darker河马
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Japanese, Vietnamese
English, French, Japanese, Vietnamese